My quinoa, sweet potato, feta and spinach cakes are such a quick and easy lunch or dinner time go to meal. Especially if you prepare all the ingredients in advance, you can just chuck everything together when you’re ready to eat!
Quinoa is one of my favourite ingredients to use because it is full of fibre, gluten-free and a fantastic grain to use for those of you who suffer from digestive discomforts. It is an excellent source of protein and contains all the essential amino acids that the body needs for optimum function.
½ cup of quinoa
1 ½ cups of cold water
¼ small red onion
1 garlic clove
1 handful of fresh spinach
1 small OR half a large sweet potato
2 sprigs of fresh Thyme OR 1 tsp of chilli flakes to flavour
Pinch of salt
Coconut oil OR butter
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into small cubes about an inch thick. Lightly steam for around 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft enough to mash.
- Place the quinoa and water on to the hob and bring to the boil. Boil for around 10 minutes until quinoa is fully cooked through. I like my quinoa to be slightly on the crunchy side but it depends on preference.
- Leave the quinoa to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion, crush the garlic and place them along with the spinach, thyme, salt, quinoa and mashed sweet potato into a bowl and combine.
- Take small handfuls of the ingredients and shape into a flat burger shape.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a frying pan. When the pan is suitably hot, fry the sweet potato cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve on a bed of fresh spinach or enjoy as a burger alternative with some gorgeous spelt or rye bread.
2 thoughts on “Sweet potato and feta cakes”